Sunday, January 1, 2012

Winter Solstice.

WINTER SOLSTICE – Bah! Humbug!


In a message to some readers, I stated that the Christmas season made me somewhat gloomy. OK, gloomy is a bit strong, but as a card-carrying cynic, I do not buy the Christmas message. Not a Christian, I can only glean my understanding from carols, messages, a multitude of newspaper articles and most people who babble (yes, I mean that word) without thinking at all about what it is they celebrate. While the message is “peace,” simple observation suggests otherwise.

I don’t remember how old I was when I realized that I was not a member of the club. A little girl reminded me of that when she came home one day and said she wanted to be “regular,” no longer Jewish. You get the picture; it’s the same reaction most kids get when they realize they are not full-fledged, rootin tootin members of the dominant society. No doubt, Christian kids have the same reaction if born into a Hindu society or a Muslim society. But, not being a member of the club meant that Santa would not come down my chimney. (I didn’t have a chimney, but you get the idea.) Of course, I received Chanukah presents, i.e. underwear and socks with a few handkerchiefs thrown in and once, I think, even a piece of Chanukah gelt. That’s gold foil wrapped a piece of chocolate impersonating money. My sister, four years older than me violated the family custom of dull gifts by buying me books.

Once I figured out things, I did not mind my non-eligibility for the club. Well, of course, I was but I would have to give up everything important in my life; my parents would have tossed me out on my head for such a transformation. Besides, what did I have to say to non-Jews? Did they know about gefilte fish or schmaltz herring or bialies or whitefish and I didn’t know they ate cream cheese until I became somewhat older.

But, the above is mere persiflage (fancy word to justify my expensive education) and now forward to more serious stuff. I never thought much about Christmas (or Chanukah, for that matter) until during the season I listened to a religious ceremony, which concluded in “peace on earth and good will to men.” In those days, women’s personhood was a nice figment of a few really radical ladies. And, then I heard another ceremony, which concluded, “peace on earth to men of good will.”
They were different in a significant way even though both emanated from Christian speakers. Whassup? I wondered which way God wanted it.

So, I looked into Christmas and discovered that scholars think that Jesus was born I think sometime in April, not December 25. That date was originally chosen for the Zoroastrian god Mithra; it was asserted that was when he was born, clearly precedent to Jesus. The Druids provided the Yule log and Christmas tree until Christian expansionists co-opted such add-ons to their story. Roman soldiers liked Mithra and celebrated the Saturnalia. The Greeks had their own holiday, Brumialia. Including Chanukah, they all fell on the winter solstice.

Winter is a gloomy time during which days become shorter. That surely distressed our ancients who noticed that at a certain time the days became longer; and that awareness provided a vast sense of relief, relief so great that the occasion had to be marked down. People, growing gloomy in the lengthy dark could look forward to what the Romans called the “unconquered sun.” Don’t give up hope, the light will return. Even now, many people suffer from winter slump, sometimes so distressing they need treatment and surprise, the treatment consists of sitting in front of a bank of very bright lights. Like the ancients, the shortening days get me feeling uncomfortable, but I know December 21 is on the way and I keep myself relaxed with that knowledge. Hell, we are ancient man and woman.


So, we really celebrate the lengthening of days but gussy it up with religious fol-de-rol and cheering ourselves up with gifting. Longing for peace became attached to the celebration and that’s why, like a card-carrying cynic I’m sort of gloomy. Even though some red-hot thinkers, i.e. Pinker, say that violence around the world is dissipating and offers some evidence to make his point, I don’t buy it. We evolved in an environment which required fight or flight, either we do battle or run like hell. We haven’t changed, we are still the same animal and evolution moves too damned slowly to make a difference.

Still, with the love of a good woman I don’t retain the gloom for too long.


1 comment:

Rainbow said...

Nice! most enjoyable and for those who do not know about Jesus and the pagans, it is a nice mini-lesson.